Most wall clocks that you will find are the old fashioned kind. They are analogue clocks with a white face, with hour and minute hand over easy to read numbers. But why not replace your existing wall clock with a cool, modern looking digital wall clock instead?
Digital clocks have a number of advantages.
- With a digital wall clock you can read the time at a glance. If you are like me then often it is just easier to quickly look at the clock and be able to say “six twenty-two” rather than have to read the hour and minute hands. I find this keeps me on track more, because I actually pay attention to the time!
- Digital wall clocks don’t make any noise. I hate ticking clocks, they take me back to school time…homework time…being in the office time…Argh! And there are places where a tic-ticking clock is particularly annoying. A home entertainment room, or a study room for example. A digital clock is great in these rooms where silence is what you need.
- They look really cool! Did you know you can get back lit and led clocks? Some of these look awesome especially at night and in low light rooms (say your computer/entertainment room). Led digital wall clocks are a great futuristic sort of decoration for any room.
- Bigger numbers, easier to read from across the room – the digital display numbers will be taller than the numbers printed on your old clock. So you won’t need to strain your eyes from across the room.
So why don’t you see more digital wall clocks in peoples houses? Maybe it’s because they are still associated with cheap, tacky plastic models that became so popular in the 80s. But modern digital house clocks can be found as really high quality, beautifully designed and built pieces. Perhaps you should check out some of the famous Karlsson clocks, made in the Netherlands. Karlsson are a company priding themselves on innovation and great workmanship. Their clocks are living works of art!
What to look for:
- A design, shape and color you like. Or maybe a material you like, such as brushed aluminum.
- check that the numbers actually are as tall as the screen is. If it is an el-cheapo then often the display area may be a lot smaller than you think.
- Check that the numbers are displayed nice and bold, dark, and with good contrast. Again cheaper digital wall clocks can be a bit fainter making them harder to read especially in direct sunlight.
- While it’s not a huge issue, do you get batteries and mounting hardware, or do you need to buy those separately?
- Do you want more than just the time? If so look for a digital wall clock that will display date and maybe even temperature. You could even go for a mini weather station if you are that way inclined!
Where to buy digital wall clocks
Well basically anywhere clocks are sold! If you want a great deal on a new clock, head in to Amazon.com and start shopping there. Really you can
spend as little or as much as you want on a wall clock, and places like Amazon and Ebay as well are a great resource to tap into. A basic digital wall clock won’t cost you more than $20, but if you love modern design then you can easily spend $200 on one of the Karlsson clocks.
As with anything, you get what you pay for, and a better quality, more expensive clock will look better and last longer than a cheap one will.